Wednesday, October 19, 2011

TV Shows With Math

When I was in the eleventh grade, every day for a week my teacher had us watch a TV show called Numb3ers. It is a show where they have to solve real life problems and crimes with math. Unfortunately I did not care for the show and thought it was somewhat boring, but I do know people who are a fan. Since we started watching it in class, one of my friends who is not a big fan of math still enjoys the show. She said that it is making her like math in a sense. As for me on the other hand that is not going to happen. The show Numb3rs begins each week with:
We all use math every day;
to predict weather, to tell time, to handle money.
Math is more than formulas or equations;
it's logic, its rationality,
it's using your mind to solve the biggest mysteries we know.

There are also kid shows that have  math in them. For example on Disney channel Kim Possible. At school, Kim and Ron have to write a report about their hero. Kim is going to do her report on her dad but, Ron does not know who to do his report on. He decides to do it on Hego, but Ron’s dad wants Ron to do it on him. Meanwhile Kim, Ron, and Hego are dealing with a new math villain, the Mathter. The Mathter zaps Ron with a beam so that whatever he touches explodes, so to prevent from exploding he wears a gigantic bubble. When on their way to stop the Mathter and turn Ron back to normal, Ron's dad comes along to help. Ron's dad stops the Mathter and they turn Ron back to normal. Ron gets an A+ on his report. 

Another TV show for kids that helps with math is Sesame Street. This season of Sesame Street, they added a few new things to its usual mix of song, dance and educational lessons.
In its 42nd season, the preschool educational series is tackling math, science, technology and engineering. All problem areas for America's students in hopes of helping kids measure up.
Carol Lynn Parente, the show's executive producer, said that 2-year-olds were more than ready for engineering experiments. According to the 2009 Program for International Student Assessment, among 65 industrialized nations, 15 year olds in the United States placed 30th in math.
For 30 years, researchers have studied what has been coined the "Sesame effect," in which they found that exposure to the program as a preschooler equaled higher achievement in high school.
Frequent viewers even earned better grades in English, math and science and had a higher grade point average than non viewers.As I child I never even once watched Sesame Street for some reason. I guess my Mom just never put it on for me. Today, I wish I would have watched it because of how good of a show it is for children and the out come it can bring when it comes to school. I watched a video with Elmo showing flash cards with math problems and how effective it was. He really broke it down and explained what he was teaching you. One day when I have children, I will have them watch Sesame Street so they can learn math at an early age and hopefully like math and be good at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment