Thursday, December 8, 2011

Teaching Math

Teaching math can be a difficult thing to do, and practice is much needed. Everybody will teach math their own way. Some will teach it how they were once thought. Others will find their own way of teaching. Whatever teaching method you decide to use, you have to first make sure it works and is affected. Then make sure it is a way that the students can relate to it. Lastly, that they enjoy doing math and do not see it has being a horrible thing, as I myself once have. This is just how I would create my lesson plan, and like I said every teacher does it differently with their own way. Some ways are more effective than others. If you see that your students are not catching on and maybe failing, it may be time to start something new. On the other hand, if there style of teaching is successful and there students are passing with a good idea about everything, and then stay to that way of teaching. I really have not thought of how I will teach until now. I happen to remember the way my second grade teacher thought math. We would have group time and individual time. In group time we would listen to her explain what she is doing, where most of the time she was drawing something on the board. Then she would have students come up and help her finish the problem that were all in picture form. I myself can see things better by pictures, so I think it will be the best way for me to teach. Many others learn by pictures, and for those who do not that is where you explain yourself fully, and then the individual time sets in. On a worksheet would be exactly what she just thought us, but now we have to see if we can do it on our own. We were able to ask any questions, because there is nothing I hate more than a teacher that will not explain a problem to you if it is not making sense. I would encourage my students to ask as many questions as they need to, because in real life, questions need to be asked in order for there to be answers. For those teachers who will not answer questions on a quiz, test, or even just class work is only hurting the students. That will only stress them out and not want to be there. Once I am a teacher, I will always want all my students to feel comfortable in the classroom, and be able to talk to me whenever they feel is necessary. I want to be a teacher that has a close bond to their students and see me as someone they look up to and have respect for. I am a strong believer that if you give respect, respect will be returned. That does not mean that if a student is not respectful, that I am not going to nice. There will always be students that will be in your class that come from a bad home, and sometimes do not know better; because that is the type of environment they are around. All your students will be different in the way that they learn and act. That is something that as a teacher, you have to adapt to.

No comments:

Post a Comment